The National Memorial Day Parade in Washington, D.C. pays tribute to the pride, sacrifice and service of America's Veterans. Memorial Day, which was originally known as Decoration Day, has a history stretching back to the Civil War and serves as an important reminder of those who died in the service of their country.
The National Memorial Day Parade
returned to Washington D.C. in 2004 after a nearly 70-year absence, coinciding with the dedication of the World War II Memorial. This outpouring of appreciation to the veterans of World War II spilled over to veterans of the more recent conflicts as well. The National Memorial Day Parade is now an annual event organized by the American Veterans Center and Music Celebrations International
The three-hour parade passes alongside the National Mall on Constitution Avenue between 7th and 17th Streets. The event is a magnificent salute to America's Veterans and in honor of those who died in defense of our country from the American Revolution to Operation Iraqi Freedom. The parade consists of outstanding marching bands from many of the 50 states and veterans units honoring World War I, War World II, The Korean and Vietnam Conflicts, Desert Storm, and the liberation of Grenada, Panama, Iraq and Afghanistan. Large patriotic floats and helium-filled balloons are also part of procession. More than 10,000 participants take part in the parade annually.
The 2016 National Memorial Day Parade was streamed live online at www.military.com beginning at 2:00 PM Eastern. The parade was also televised live nationally on Reelz, around the world on The Pentagon Channel, and locally in Washington, DC on News Channel 8.
• Alliance H.S. Marching Band, NE
• Appleton East H.S. Patriots, WI
• William J. Brennan H.S. Band, TX
• Luther Burbank H.S. Mighty Bulldog Band, TX
• Carmel H.S. Band, NY
• Cedaredge H.S. Marching Band & Combined Choirs, CO
• Tom C. Clark H.S. Mighty Cougar Band, TX
• Clear Creek Amana H.S. Marching Band, IA
• Cole Valley Christian Schools Charger Marching Band and Colorguard, ID
• Colonia H.S. Marching Patriots & Choir, NJ
• Cresskill H.S. Cougar Marching Band, NJ
• Davis County H.S. Marching Band, IA
• Delaware Valley Regional H.S. Golden Regiment Marching Band & Choir, NJ
• Emerson Jr./Sr. H.S. Cavalier Marching Band, NJ
• Enid H.S. Big Blue Band, OK
• Glasgow H.S. Scottie Band, KY
• Gordon Central H.S. Blue Wave Band, GA
• Greeneville H.S. Pride of the Devils Band, TN
• Hazleton Area H.S. Marching Cougars, PA
• Holly H.S. Band, MI
• Jones H.S. Marching Tiger Band, FL
• Joplin H.S. Eagle Pride Band, MO
• Kauai All-Island Marching Band, HI
• Lansing Everett H.S. Marching Band, MI
• Lincoln H.S. Lion Pride Band, CA
• Loara H.S. Band, CA
• Marinette H.S. Marching Marines, WI
• Maumelle H.S. Band, AR
• Melrose H.S. Marching Band, MA
• Monrovia H.S. Bulldog Brigade, IN
• Nogales H.S. Band, AZ
• Obama Academy Eagles P.E.P. Marching Band, PA
• Ocoee H.S. Marching Knights, FL
• Omaha South High Magnet School Marching Band, NE
• Pennfield H.S. Panther Marching Band, MI
• Potosi H.S. Marching Band, MO
• Ryan H.S. Raider Band, TX
• Southfield H.S. Marching Blue Jays Band, MI
• Sullivan H.S. Band, MO
• William Howard Taft H.S. Marching Band, IL
• Unicoi County H.S. Blue Devil Band, TN
• Westwood Regional Jr./Sr. H.S. Marching Band, NJ
• White Plains H.S. Blue Brigade, AL
A visit to Washington, D.C. gives music groups the opportunity to explore and experience many of the sites that are an important part of American history. Sample itineraries could include:
• Sightseeing tours of the Capitol Hill area, the Supreme Court Building and the Library of Congress.
• A "War Memorial" walking tour of the Lincoln, Korean, World War II, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and Vietnam Memorials.
• Visits to historic Mount Vernon, Old Towne Alexandria, Ford's Theater and the Peterson House (where Lincoln died).
• Attending the National Memorial Day Concert
on the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol, featuring the National Symphony Orchestra broadcast live on PBS.
Email: Contact Us
Music Celebrations International
1440 S. Priest Dr. #102
Tempe, AZ 85281
If you're interested in entering your band in the National Memorial Day Parade, please request an application from Music Celebrations at the contact info above.